Title : Vampire Academy
Author : Richelle Mead
Genre : Young Adult, Paranormal, Romance
Series : Book #1, Vampire Academy
Pages : 332
Publish Date : August 16, 2007
Publisher : Penguin Group Razor Bill
Started Reading : January 17, 2011
Completed Reading : January 22, 2011
Book Rating : 3/5
ONLY A TRUE BEST FRIEND CAN PROTECT YOU FROM YOUR IMMORTAL ENEMIES...
Lisa Dragomir is a Moroi princess: a mortal vampire with a rare gift for harnessing the earth's magic. She must be protected at all times from Stigoi; the fiercest vampires - the ones who never die. The powerful blend of human and vampire blood that flows through Rose Hathaway, Lissa's bestfriend, makes her a Dhampir. Rose is dedicated to a dangerous life of protecting Lissa from the Strigoi, who are hell-bent on making Lissa one of them.
After two years of freedom, Rose and Lissa are caught and dragged back to St. Vladimir's Academy, a school for vampire royalty and their guardians-to-be, hidden in the deep forests of Montana. But inside the iron gates, life is even more fraught with danger... and the Strigoi are always close by.
Rose and Lissa must navigate their dangerous world, confront the temptations of forbidden love, and never once let their guard down, lest the evil undead make Lissa one of them forever.
*****
Honestly, it took me awhile to warm up to the story. Maybe it's just me, but I had a hard time really remembering the words/terms such as Moroi, Strigoi and Damphirs. And I think the book took awhile to really go to the real "action". I felt like I've waited a long time until I get to the part where there's something happening. And there really wasn't much of an encounter with the Strigoi. well, not the one I was expecting. I guess that's how the story was supposed to go - something to do with resolving "internal" conflicts first.
Still, I have to admit that I've somehow enjoyed the latter part of the book. I think I like Dimitri. Dimitri is Rose's love interest... He's 7 years older and he's also her mentor, a fellow Damphir who has seen a lot in this world (on a side note, it's interesting to note that their age difference is a part of the issue in "modern times" but in reading historical romances, the age difference doesn't matter, and usually the hero and heroine have a 10-year age difference).I guess one of my favorite part in the book was when Dimitri and Rose were talking about their situation, Dimitri telling Rose why they can't be together.
"Because we can't be together."
"Because of the age thing right?" I asked. "Because you're my mentor?"
His fingertip gently wiped away a tear that had escaped down my cheek. That's part of it," he said. "But also... well, you and I will both be Lissa's guardians someday. I need to protect her at all costs. If a pack of Strigoi came, I need to throw my body between them and her."
"I know that. Of course that's what you have to do." The black sparkles were dancing in front of my eyes again. I was fading out.
"No. If I let myself love you, I won't throw myself in front of her. I'll throw myself in front of you."
Sad right? Maybe they'll find a way to be together in the end. Hmmm.. I guess I'll have to read the rest of the series after all. :)
Saturday, January 22, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
go buy the rest and let me know if it's good! :)
hahaa.. sige sige.. I will :) pero mukhang mauuna si House of Night.. parang mas type ko yun!
Post a Comment